Police label shootout in Melbourne, Australia a terror attack

Police label shootout in Melbourne, Australia a terror attack

Khayre was acquitted of plotting a terror attack at a Sydney army base in 2010, police said.

The man of Somali background was killed when he opened fire following an hour-long standoff after taking an escort girl hostage at a serviced apartment block in the city on Monday evening.

Since November, Khayre had been on parole after serving jail time for a violent 2012 home invasion. The woman he took hostage was an escort he’d hired, and she managed to escape the ordeal unharmed.

Islamic State said via its news agency, Amaq, that the attack was launched because of Australia’s membership in a US-led coalition against the militant group.

Prime Minster Malcolm Turnbull said the case raised “grave concerns” about the parole system which he said would be addressed.

Responsibility for the incident has been claimed by ISIS which justified it with Australia’s membership of the US-led global coalition fighting against it in Iraq and Syria. “Whether the ideology was sacked up from last week, it’s too early to say but it’s one of those avenues of inquiry”, he said.

The coroner removes a body at the scene of a hostage situation in the Melbourne bayside suburb of Brighton on June 6, 2017.

Meanwhile the police are still investigating IS’s claims of the terror attack and are also trying to find out whether Khayre acted alone or had accomplices.

We’re live with Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton for an update regarding the Brighton hostage/siege incident.

Australian police said a shootout Monday in which two men died, three police officers were wounded and a female hostage was freed might be related to Islamic extremism.

“What is clear here is that we face a growing threat from Islamist terrorism in Australia in our region and around the world”.

“This terrorist attack by a known criminal, a man who was only recently released on parole, is a shocking, cowardly crime”, Turnbull said in comments to reporters, according to NBC.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

Police say the suspect had been holding a woman against her will at the Bay Street apartment complex.

Authorities said the 29-year-old gunman had a long criminal history and was on parole at the time of the attack.

Khayre had been known to security forces for nearly a decade and had been cleared of involvement in a plot to attack an army barracks in Sydney in 2009, Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Graham Ashton told reporters.

Last month, an Australian coroner criticised a decision which allowed bail to a gunman behind Sydney’s deadly cafe siege in 2014.

The siege has ignited debate about local parole laws after it emerged Khayre had a history of violence and was released from jail a year ago following an aggravated burglary.