A statement by NATO-led forces said seven USA soldiers and one Afghan soldier were wounded when an Afghan army soldier opened fire at Camp Shaheen in Mazar-e Sharif.
Last week, a Taliban infiltrator in the Afghan army shot two US soldiers dead before being killed.
A Taliban suicide bomb and gun attack on a police hedquarters in eastern Afghanistan killed at least five officers and injured 18 people, authorities said. No U.S. troops were killed in the attack.
The Taliban praised the attack, but did not claim responsibility.
An Afghan soldier opened fire Saturday at a base shared with US forces in northern Afghanistan, wounding at least seven USA soldiers in the second such insider attack last week.
The seven soldiers were evacuated after being injured in the incident at Camp Shareen, the headquarters of the Afghan Army’s 209 Corps in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
Two police officers were killed and five wounded during the attack, Reuters reports, citing Danish.
Gen. Dawlat Waziri, spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry, also confirmed the attack.
So far this year, six USA soldiers have been killed in combat in Afghanistan, all of them involved in the fight against the Islamic State in Nangarhar province.
“One of the attackers detonated his explosives close to the parking area so as to open the way for the others”.
-Afghan military operation in the country’s Achin district.
The Taliban-led insurgency has been on the rampage since late April when the Taliban launched their annual rebel offensive and intensified attacks across the country.
However, doctors at the city hospital said they had received the bodies of at least five police, as well as at least 30 wounded people, including 20 civilians.
Officials at the northern base tell Jennifer Glasse, who reported from Kabul for our Newscast unit, that the shooter was killed.
United States troops are also at risk in other parts of Afghanistan.
The statement read that the incident was under investigation and more details would be provided when available.