Ghani quickly condemned the latest incident and said “The country is under attack”. It was one of the worst extremist attacks since the drawdown of foreign forces in 2014 and raised fears about the government’s ability to protect its citizens almost 16 years into a war with insurgents.
“A way for peaceful resolution of the conflict would be sought at this conference, talks and discussions with representatives of various countries would take place for an “Afghan-led and Afghan-own” peace process”, he said.
Ezadyar was the son of Alam Ezadyar, the first deputy of the upper house of Afghanistan’s Parliament.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the atrocity.
The protests began peacefully Friday morning, as hundreds of people chanted for the government to resign as they gathered near the bombing site.
Afghanistan’s Tolo News television reported that as many as 18 were killed.
As the protesters attempted to move closer to the Presidential Palace, police sprayed them with hoses from a water tanker and later fired tear gas.
“President Ghani condemns the outrageous attack on mourners burying the martyred.The country is under attack.We must be strong and united”, he said.
Continued unrest could paralyze and further weaken Ghani’s government, which is facing internal divisions and struggling to contain an aggressive Taliban insurgency and regional militants linked to the Islamic State, experts say.
More than 1,000 people chanted slogans calling for the resignation of the government, as well as “death to the Taliban” and “death to Haqqani”, the wing of the insurgency believed by intelligence services to be responsible for Wednesday’s attack. “Ensuring security in Kabul is an urgent priority, as this city continues to experience the highest number of civilian casualties”, he continued, reiterating that the ultimate objective in Afghanistan must be a negotiated peace.
Ahmadzai and General Murad Ali Murad, a deputy interior minister, urged the protesters to end their demonstration, citing fears that suicide attackers would target such rallies, as they did a year ago. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces are now conducting joint offensive operations to combat terrorism across the country.
The explosions came just three days after a powerful truck bomb attack in the city that killed 90 people and wounded more than 450.
About 8,000 US troops are now deployed in Afghanistan.
As anger against the government has grown, Ghani’s worldwide partners have become increasingly alarmed, with the United Nations calling for restraint.
In the first three months of the year at least 715 civilians were killed across the country, after nearly 3,500 last year – the deadliest on record for Afghan civilians.